Palazzo Sforza Cesarini
Built in 1571, Santa Fiora‘s main palazzo was erected on the ruins of an older Aldobrandeschi fortress of which today there remains only two clock towers.
Shortly before the middle of the 15th century, the Sienese kidnapped three of Guido Aldobrandeschi’s daughters in an attempt to take over various towns in the countryside. The plan failed and Santa Fiora and its fort were inherited by the Sforza following the marriage of Bosio Sforza and Cecilia Aldobrandeschi.
The Sforza continued to renovate the building throughout the 16th century, giving it the aesthetic qualities we see today. The Palazzo is actually a complex of several stone buildings lined up and leaning against each other.
Stylistically, it still maintains much of its late 16th century beauty, with the exception of the Gothic arched doorways which remained untouched after the Middle Ages.
The two remaining Aldobrandeschi towers are probably the most beautiful features of the palazzo. Their stone walls stretch far above Santa Fiora and are riddled with loopholes that were once used to defend the city.
Next to the palazzo is the gorgeous 15th century clock tower, which maintains its original medieval apperance. It is crowned with battlements and engraved with the 12 zodiac signs.
The palazzo is now home to the Museo delle Miniere di Mercurio del Monte Amiata