This imposing building was the home of Scarlino's common court during the Middle Ages. Back then, it was called the Palazzo Pretorio and remained an important meeting place for politicians and the public right up until Ranieri di Tinacci, the local lord, sold it to the City of Pisa.
The palazzo was renovated in the 17th century and renovators thought it needed an added touch of flourish, so they built a clock tower next door. Unfortunately, that was deemed unsafe and was demolished in 1950 lest it collapse and take the entire building with it.
After even more renovations in the 1980s, the palazzo was returned to the service of the council and is now Scarlino's town hall. The building remains a symbol of the impressive military architecture of Tuscany and is definitely worth a visit. The outer walls are completely covered in light grey stone and the rectangular windows and doors all date back to the 17th century.
Keep an eye out for the coats of arms on the facade. The one above the door is the official crest of Scarlino, while the other is that of the Appiani family, who once ruled the town from this building.