Acciughe sotto il pesto- Anchovies marinated in pesto
The Maremma is famous for its delicious seafood. In this recipe, the overpowering saltiness of the anchovy fillets is removed and replaced by the earthy and spicy aroma given off by the pesto. Perfect as an antipasto or on a piece of toast as a midday snack.
From the Maremman Table with Love: A selection of authentic recipes from the heart of the Southern Tuscan countryside.
For: 8 people
Preparation time: 30 min
Inactive prep time: 24hrs to marinate
1 kg of salt-cured anchovy fillets
A big bunch of parsley
1 bulb of garlic
1 spicy red chili
- Rinse the anchovy fillets under water until all traces of salt are removed. Leave to dry.
- Prepare and sterilize, if necessarily, a large jar, preferably one made of glass with a tight lid.
- Finely chop the parsley, garlic and chili. Line the bottom of the jar with part of the mix.
- Cover this with a layer of anchovy fillets. Place another layer of your pesto mix over the anchovies and cover that with another layer of anchovies.
- Continue alternating between pesto and anchovy fillets until you have used everything up.
- Fill the rest of the jar to the brim with olive oil. Leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 24hrs.
Chef’s tip: As you use the anchovies, remember to always refill the jar with extra olive oil. This ensures your anchovies remain fresh.