In 1813, a Grosseto warehouse in Via delle Vecchie Fornaci (today Via Mazzini), which was once used as a refuge for pilgrims, was transformed into an elegant theatre.

The beautiful structure immediately caught the eye of the famed Accademia degli Industri, who decided to set up residence and perform many of their greatest works here.

The theatre was designed by Giacomo Passerini and it had all the most modern elements of its time, like three-row boxes and decorations in stucco and paint rather than plaster.

A Sienese artist designed the grand red and gold interior, while the curtain, which once depicted the siege of Grosseto by Ludwig of Bavaria, have recently been replaced by a plain velvet sheet.

Today the theatre hosts visitors as well as operas and other productions.

To find what's on, pop into the tourist information centre in Grosseto and they'll have a full programme list.

Search